Friday, March 18, 2005

Terri Schiavo

I'm kind of rushing this, but these are some quick thoughts on this matter:

The U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear this case. Other courts have refused to hear this case. This battle has been going on for years, and the parents have consistently lost. The Congress has now entered the fray, and I feel that this is overstepping their bounds. They are issuing a bill of attainder, and using their subpeona power to keep her alive, when they know she has no way of testifying and answering the subpeona. She could attend, and watch, but have no way of responding. And what is the point of her coming?

Nothing more than using her as a symbol for the right-to-life movement. If Michael Schiavo is to be believed, and the courts involved have mainly believed him, and I have to believe him after all this time he's dealt with this that he knows what he's doing. If he is to be believed, she is being kept on life support that she did not want. If I were in that state, I don't believe I'd want to be kept alive in that way. After 15 years of artificial care, I don't believe a change is going to come in her condition. This is different than a coma. No, we don't know for certain whether she wanted to be kept alive or not, but I'd think her husband would know about this best. This political game is ridiculous, and it's unconstitutional. It is an abuse of power. Let the woman die in peace. It's the humane thing to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home