Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Jesus, I didn't post yesterday...that sucks

I've been serious for quite a while doing the blogging thing, and I'm feeling some irreverence is in order, in fact, it's probably needed so I don't seem like a tight-assed wonk.

Tonight's the State of the Union address, always an important night....unless it's pre-empting The West Wing, which I would much rather prefer watching. Martin Sheen can be kinda dumb in real life, but he plays a pretty good president.

Oh, well, I'm sure I'm going to get plenty of ammunition out of the SOTU tonight to talk about for weeks. Wondering what will be said about Social Security. Worried and pissed that polls are already mixing "crisis" with "major problems" as a category, which gives the President more "backing" for his misguided, partisan agenda.

I try to be fair. I try not to think that he's the AntiChrist (he's not) or that he's evil (he's not) or that he's an idiot (intellectually, he's not, but politically, he can be). It's just that the things he does do not help the average person. The tax cuts didn't help the average person (it sure as hell didn't help me, my tax refunds went down), the Medicare bill was a boondoggle that will hamper the budget for years to come, and now the Social Security privatization (and dammit, it's just that, not 'personalization' or 'personal accounts') will not, guaran-damn-teed, not make things better for people like me when we retire. I like the current system, thank you very much, given that I've been paying into it for seven years already and will do so for another 40. It's, oh shit, here it comes, dictionary definition AND well-understood term, "security."

security-
1. Freedom from risk or danger; safety.
2. Freedom from doubt, anxiety, or fear; confidence.
3. Something that gives or assures safety, as:
a. A group or department of private guards: Call building security if a visitor acts suspicious.
b. Measures adopted by a government to prevent espionage, sabotage, or attack.
c. Measures adopted, as by a business or homeowner, to prevent a crime such as burglary or d. assault: Security was lax at the firm's smaller plant.
4. Measures adopted to prevent escape: Security in the prison is very tight.
5. Something deposited or given as assurance of the fulfillment of an obligation; a pledge.
6. One who undertakes to fulfill the obligation of another; a surety.
7. A document indicating ownership or creditorship; a stock certificate or bond.


There you go. Now think about that when you watch el presidente arbusto (bush) tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home