Friday, April 22, 2005

Grrrrr.....

Anyone who has been reading me knows I support gay rights. The New York Times reported that Microsoft, long a leader in this field, has reversed course, possibly because of a threat from some two-bit hack of a preacher who threatened a national boycott of Microsoft. Getting past the Luddite part of that threat (what are they all going to do, stop using technology, or go to other liberals, like Apple?), I am furious that once again, people are using this election as something it wasn't. For instance, this quote:

Dr. Hutcherson, who has become a leading national critic of same-sex marriage, said he believed he could have organized a widespread boycott of Microsoft. He said he told the Microsoft executives, "If you don't think the moral issue is not a big issue, just count the amount of votes that were cast on moral issues in the last election."
"A lot of Christians would have joined me," he said, "But it would have been a lot more people, too."


For the absolute last time: 22 percent is not a F'n mandate!!!!! And if only 22% of 50% of this country voted, that's like 1/10 of the country, meaning that 90% of the country didn't make any judgement on moral values!

This article has other fine gems, too, like:

Dr. Hutcherson, pastor of the Antioch Bible Church, who has organized several rallies opposing same-sex marriage here and in Washington, D.C., said he threatened in those meetings to organize a national boycott of Microsoft products.
After that, "they backed off," the pastor said Thursday in a telephone interview. "I told them I was going to give them something to be afraid of Christians about," he said.


I resent this asshole appropriating my faith and my beliefs on behalf of his jihad against other human beings. I resent the implication that all Christians are part of this bigoted campaign. I am tired of Christianity being hijacked by a group of people who want to go to war with the world because they don't like how it is. Wars against gays, against Muslims, against people who believe in choice, and in some cases, like R. Albert Mohler, Jr., against my Catholic faith. Mohler might possibly win the prize for quickest trip to hell with this statement:

"I believe that the Roman church is a false church and it teaches a false gospel, and indeed, I believe that the pope himself holds a false and unbiblical office."

I really hate to tell him, but Catholicism was formed by the apostles of Jesus Christ, so while you may disagree with how the Church evolved, Catholicism is not a false faith. St. Peter himself was the first pope, so I don't see the whole unbiblical part either. Mohler, like most of these preachers running around television, are Pharisees, false prophets, and in general, talk out of their ass. I wonder how Catholic Bush voters are going to take to that statement from a board member of Focus on the Family (one of Bush's constituencies).

Not all of my readers may appreciate the DailyKos, but the conversation today about Sen. Barry Goldwater, the father of modern conservatism, is quite fascinating, and one of the main posters, Hunter, found this great quote, which I shall close with:

"However, on religious issues there can be little or no compromise. There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom.
They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both. I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.'
Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of 'conservatism."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home